thunderbolt85
Friday, July 6, 2018 1:59:31 PM
Rode a gas powered Tempest back in the 80s on Harden's Show, sure would move, great thrill.

IndianaTED
Saturday, July 7, 2018 8:01:10 PM
One of my favorite ride experiences was on a gas powered Twister in 1975 and 1976 on Johnny's United Shows, though I think it was booked on and not owned by JUS. It looked like it was out of the 50s, and while watching it one night, it shook to the point a fluorescent tube came loose and crashed on the wooden decking...no one hurt. The reverberation of the gas engine could be heard from far away and was certainly a drawing feature of it. Watching it being assembled, one of the workers told me that it was the fastest ride on the midway and would reach 65mph. It traveled in a plain box trailer, that I remember seeing straw in. The center was towed separately. The tubs/carts were orange with white curved stripes and black trim.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Monday, July 9, 2018 6:48:46 AM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

One of my favorite ride experiences was on a gas powered Twister in 1975 and 1976 on Johnny's United Shows, though I think it was booked on and not owned by JUS. It looked like it was out of the 50s, and while watching it one night, it shook to the point a fluorescent tube came loose and crashed on the wooden decking...no one hurt. The reverberation of the gas engine could be heard from far away and was certainly a drawing feature of it. Watching it being assembled, one of the workers told me that it was the fastest ride on the midway and would reach 65mph. It traveled in a plain box trailer, that I remember seeing straw in. The center was towed separately. The tubs/carts were orange with white curved stripes and black trim.

Hearing that about the Twister, do you remember when Deggeller Magic Midway had a Tip Top with a center load, but also had a straight job carrying the tubs and other parts?

I have seen a few Loop O Planes in recent years with gas engines, one booked in with AofA and then at a still date in Ga with a show. Boy they sure did sound good when they started them up.

In the late 70s McBride Brothers came to this area with a ground mtn Eli with gas engine I believe, I know it was ground mtn though.