squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
  • Lot Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:41:17 AM
It has been brought to my attention that the recent update to Microsoft Internet Explorer (v11) has broken this site.

Any users trying to use IE 11 are most likely unable to post, reply, send PMs or essentially do anything with the messages in that browser.

I am currently working on a fix, and hope to have it online by morning.

In the meantime, I can only recommend usage of Firefox 23 or higher, Google Chrome, or Opera for your web browser at this time. Internet Explorer has caused us many nightmare hassles in the past, and this is just another round of it.

But for what it's worth, I have a feeling this is a real big part of why nobody is posting...
johnroach100
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:46:01 AM
Wait... You mean people still use IE? Wow!!!!
squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:07:35 AM
Originally Posted by: johnroach100 

Unfortunately, Internet Explorer (or Internet Exploder as I prefer) still has about 30% of the market share, give or take -- that's 1 in 3 computers that have it and browse with it...

Ironically enough - since v9 and v10, it's been pretty stable and usable - and honestly much more 'standards compliant' -- it still has the classic Microsoft behavior and security issues, but has made HUGE improvements since v6, 7, and even 8.

But when 10 came out, it broke a couple things, and now that 11 is out, it broke a few things too. The Developer tools in 11 are horrible. The thought was nice, but they're unstable, and crash my tower every damned time I use them - which is why fixes for this site in IE are slow if ever, because it's next to impossible to diagnose a screw up when the tools to do so don't work --

Soda Guy
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:01:25 AM
Soda Guy
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:06:12 AM
Originally Posted by: johnroach100 

Sure because it workson all the other sites but here. Plus I am the first to admit I never really sat down and became a computer nerd. For those of us in their 40's and older who didn't grow up in front of a computer screen, most people my age just want to turn the damn thing on it should work. none of this well you need to be in this browzer for this site but this can't work if you have this type of tower/laptop/phone/rabbit ears on your TV. . . . . . .

But then again I am also in the minority here, I think the guy who owns the ride should be able to pick the colors it is painted, the type lights . . . . . .

squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:47:02 AM
In the end, here's the problem - and it's Microsoft's fault. Not ours, not the developers of the YAF application, f*cking Microsoft.

Problem #1: Because all web browsers are created differently, and all handle web pages differently (even though there are standards enacted to keep this bullsh*t from happening), millions of websites use what's called "Browser Sniffing" to determine what web browser you use. Based on that "sniffing", the web site can determine what 'extra features' your web browser supports. Microsoft completely changed the format of that identifier in Explorer 11. Which basically broke every website in the known world that operates using ASP.NET 4.0 and "Sniffing". Ironically, this is the technique they pushed on us years ago when the technology first came out. Now, we're supposed to use "Feature Detection" - which would mean re-developing millions of sites around the world to accommodate this.

Problem #2: Their solution is for us to re-license new server software and upgrade the whole damned operation. -OR- Rewrite the site to use their new 'feature detection'... NEITHER solution are an option here.

Problem #3: Last month, they released a patch to fix this for all Windows Server platforms that support the software we use (ASP.NET 4)... (Of course, the patch fails - I have been working on this since I posted the first reply, and have made absolutely no progress.

In the end - all our hassles come down to Microsoft. Does it make me want to switch platforms and software and environments? No. Not on your life. Our security and stability are way too important to move everything we have off of MS software. Do I think that Microsoft is evil and hates all sys-admins around the world? You bet'chya...

Will I win this war? You bet'chya... I haven't lost one yet around here...
squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:21:32 AM
Fixed.

Please test --

(posted via MS-IE v11 / Win 7-x64)
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:17:59 AM
Originally Posted by: secret.squirrel 

Fixed.

Please test --

(posted via MS-IE v11 / Win 7-x64)

I am a posting
squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:38:48 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I am a posting

What Browser and Version, please?

The main issues were tied to Internet Explorer 10 and 11 -- almost all other browsers should have been functional - but if they weren't, I need someone to let me know - either email websites(at)mwdwebdesign.com (replace the (at) with an @ sign to send the mail...) I need to know browser version and type in order to test, reproduce, and fix :)

thunderbolt85
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:02:01 AM
not a super computer wiz myself, but if I am reading this right windows version 7?
squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:46:45 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

not a super computer wiz myself, but if I am reading this right windows version 7?

Is there a chance you were having problems with the site over say the last week or so and now it's sorted out and working? IF so, then you definitely have IE 11 - if you're running Windows 7, IE 11 was pushed out from Microsoft at the beginning of this month as an update --

Soda Guy
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:58:42 AM
Soda Guy
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:59:47 AM
Originally Posted by: Soda Guy 

Lets see if SS has done it again.

And he is also a whiz at fixing diesel engines. LOL

Thanks SS

squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 88.42% (Honored)
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:14:46 AM
Originally Posted by: Soda Guy 

And he is also a whiz at fixing diesel engines. LOL

Thanks SS

No problem, my friend - and you ain't lyin'bout them diesels either...

thunderbolt85
Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:31:57 PM
Originally Posted by: secret.squirrel 

Is there a chance you were having problems with the site over say the last week or so and now it's sorted out and working? IF so, then you definitely have IE 11 - if you're running Windows 7, IE 11 was pushed out from Microsoft at the beginning of this month as an update --

To be honest I have not noticed any problems with posting or reading any posts myself, and I am usually on here each day if not posting, then at least reading.