WestCoastPat
  •  WestCoastPat
  • 59.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:55:29 PM
I was trying to find information about a type of auction that used to be common. As I remember, it was held from the back of a truck and may or may not have been completely honest. Seems as how I remember most the way the thing always ended-the door was closed and the truck drove off leaving most of the "customers" wondering what happened. Anyone want to share some information about it can either post here or pm me if you want it to remain hidden. Thanks-WCP
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
Pizzagod
Sunday, March 1, 2015 8:52:52 PM
"Jam" auctions?

I'm not that versed-I do remember people digging a few bucks out and ending up with a "Hody-kadody" which was like nothing-
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, May 31, 2015 5:44:31 PM
In a jam you could buy a burned out match for $10 there were several well known concession managers in that business and Frenchy that had Des Moines was probably the best. Jack Nyberg the Gee Whizz Kid is the last of the best that I am aware of.
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
ridejocky
Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:07:48 AM
I used to love to sit in on the jam at Raliegh.

I bought a few pair of Channelocks.
Ride the Zipper?
gmonty3
Friday, September 11, 2015 6:13:39 PM
There's an article in the latest edition (September) of Carnival Magazine about "Jam" Auctions. I remember Jam Auctions as a kid attending the NC State Fair with my scout troop. There was a great Jam Joint in Raleigh for years and I always watched the Auction. I remember that the Auctioneer always was telling the tip that he was going to bring out a "Browning Automatic Shotgun", but I never saw that happen. The greatest Jan Auctioneer alive today is Jack Nyberg who worked the Salem Virginia Fair for years. I have not seen him the last couple of years. Jack is know as the "Gee Whiz Kid". A pitchman by the name of Don Driver has a 2-hour documentary DVD on Jack's pitch from start to finish. If it's still available, it's worth the money. Another Jam Auctioneer who died recently was John Bradshaw from Richmond Virginia. I worked my scales in Waynesboro and Dublin where John had his Jam Joint in operation. John was a super guy. He was interviewed by James Taylor in one of his books in the series "Shocked and Amazed" while John was doing magic inside a Coney Island Side Show.
Monty

ridejocky
Friday, September 11, 2015 6:52:17 PM
The jam you're talking about was at top of the main midway, next to Strates' office, yes?

"Everyting is guaranteed as it's represented or you money back."
Ride the Zipper?
gmonty3
Sunday, September 13, 2015 6:56:37 AM
Yep. You are exactly right. There was only one midway in those days. The new midway in Raleigh today was occupied by a grandstand with a dirt track. "Jack Kauchman's World Famous Hell Drivers are on Grandstand tonight"! The jam pitchman had one of the most "raspy" voices that I have ever heard. Great for his line of work! I've had a fascination with microphones even before I was 10-years old. This jam pitchman was one of the best! I wish I knew his name. I'm sure there are some old timers out there that may know who he was.
Monty

stevo4
Tuesday, September 15, 2015 7:33:27 PM
Late to the conversation but here is a link to a british Jam Auction on the street. (This is from a TV series called The Real Hustle.

Stevo