Secrets of the Blue Ridge
Sunday, June 3, 2018 7:18:47 PM
Hello -
"Secrets of the Blue Ridge" is my local history column appearing in the Crozet Gazette in Albemarle Co., VA. I participated in a forum thread on this website in 2014 re: "Bruce Greater Shows", a family-owned carnival based in this county. My interest in this show continues, along with my other local history pursuits.

During the ensuing years, I have learned that the Bruce family's involvement in the amusement business stretched back at least to 1905 with a steam engine-operated merry-go-round. Following the death of the 2nd generation owner in the 1930s, the carnival was sold and renamed Virginia Greater Shows. My online research shows that Virginia Greater Shows was still operating as late as 1967. My personal interest is more focused on the early group operated by the Bruce family, but am interested in any continuing ties that Virginia Greater Shows maintained with the owners/families associated with Bruce Greater Shows.

Always looking for digital scans or online links related to this carnival business from c.1905 thru mid/late 1930s.
Many thanks, Phil