wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 28, 2019 9:43:50 AM
is that the RCS LaGrande XL in Atlanta for the super bowl right near the stadium, or is that a permanent wheel that stays there?
Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations
ridejocky
Monday, January 28, 2019 10:39:56 PM
Looks like the one.

Nice shots on Google Earth....
Ride the Zipper?
wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:56:20 AM
Originally Posted by: Dave 

http://www.skyviewatlanta.com/ could be this

thats the one Dave, thanks. Looks like about every major city in the country seems to be getting a big wheel these days
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:44:01 AM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

thats the one Dave, thanks. Looks like about every major city in the country seems to be getting a big wheel these days

And a lot of midways usually have one or two Giant Wheels, kinda burned out on giant wheels, they're nice, but would like to see midways with Sky Wheels, Divers, Rock o Planes, and standard wheels again.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:40:41 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

And a lot of midways usually have one or two Giant Wheels, kinda burned out on giant wheels, they're nice, but would like to see midways with Sky Wheels, Divers, Rock o Planes, and standard wheels again.

gotta put up those that make money. those listed are not big grossers
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:42:00 PM
Originally Posted by: britt 

gotta put up those that make money. those listed are not big grossers

Yeah, I know but an old carnie can wish.....right? LOL

Makes you wonder though, if Giant Wheels had never really came around, what would midways look like today?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:19:11 PM

Yeah, I know but an old carnie can wish.....right? LOL

Makes you wonder though, if Giant Wheels had never really came around, what would midways look like today?

Some of those you listed would still be used. talked with Jim Drew about space wheels and they slowed them down to make it more of a family ride. I always enjoyed the thrill of coming over the top but my grandson would be terrified. those big wheels are family oriented which make them so successful.
ridejocky
Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:38:29 PM

... but my grandson would be terrified.

ergo "thrill" ride

Coasters don't gin money?

Big wheels make money because they have the capacity to do so.

Tough to put people through a diver, skywheel, zipper, roc etc...
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:39:45 AM

Some of those you listed would still be used. talked with Jim Drew about space wheels and they slowed them down to make it more of a family ride. I always enjoyed the thrill of coming over the top but my grandson would be terrified. those big wheels are family oriented which make them so successful.

Yeah, I hope that helps him make some good money, someone posted a great video off and on ride, it had a strong line and the POV on ride showed a nice smooth ride.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:48:23 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

ergo "thrill" ride

Well coasters are a great thrill ride with their own following, but you know you can only load a few tubs at once on a Giant Wheel as well, I think as stated above more of the "family" appeal while a normal Sky Wheel (faster speed) has the thrill of a coaster which not everyone likes. A Diver is all about thrill with going upside down and backwards. However, never did understand why they didn't load two or three tubs at once when they had a long line on the Diver, or two on the Sky Wheel with long lines, I mean you could still balance it with enough people.

But nevertheless, we have all debated this before on here, and we know they will not come back as much as they were around years ago, just enjoyed catching one when I can.

Midway rides of Utica brought a nice Rock O Plane thru here last year, hope they return as well.

The last Diver I saw was on J&J here at the Upper SC State Fair back in early 2000s, never got to see PGAM's/P&T Diver.
JustinJames
Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:19:37 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

ergo "thrill" ride

A very wise showman once said... When you take riders upside down, you lose 50% of them.
JustinJames
Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:23:14 PM

Well coasters are a great thrill ride with their own following, but you know you can only load a few tubs at once on a Giant Wheel as well, I think as stated above more of the "family" appeal while a normal Sky Wheel (faster speed) has the thrill of a coaster which not everyone likes. A Diver is all about thrill with going upside down and backwards. However, never did understand why they didn't load two or three tubs at once when they had a long line on the Diver, or two on the Sky Wheel with long lines, I mean you could still balance it with enough people.

But nevertheless, we have all debated this before on here, and we know they will not come back as much as they were around years ago, just enjoyed catching one when I can.

Midway rides of Utica brought a nice Rock O Plane thru here last year, hope they return as well.

The last Diver I saw was on J&J here at the Upper SC State Fair back in early 2000s, never got to see PGAM's/P&T Diver.

Our Mulligan Wheel consistently stays in the top 3 while our Skywheel often is in the bottom of the grosses. It doesn't matter if we have 4 operators loading multiple tubs or not. "Oh hell nah" is the most common phrase I hear when people are pointing at our Skywheel.
thunderbolt85
Friday, February 1, 2019 6:59:09 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Our Mulligan Wheel consistently stays in the top 3 while our Skywheel often is in the bottom of the grosses. It doesn't matter if we have 4 operators loading multiple tubs or not. "Oh hell nah" is the most common phrase I hear when people are pointing at our Skywheel.

LOL, I believe you, guess today's generation is just not like the older generation that rode them heavy.

When we had ours, it made money, I can remember one spot where we had the Sky Wheel and a 12 seat wheel, Sky Wheel kept long lines all day and night, course no giant wheels back then, our "giant" wheel was the 16 seat wheel.

Interesting story about that spot, that was the balloon festival and every night we had to "park" the sky wheel at the half way point for an hour while the balloons went up, then it would open back up.
JustinJames
Saturday, February 2, 2019 2:03:59 AM

LOL, I believe you, guess today's generation is just not like the older generation that rode them heavy.

When we had ours, it made money, I can remember one spot where we had the Sky Wheel and a 12 seat wheel, Sky Wheel kept long lines all day and night, course no giant wheels back then, our "giant" wheel was the 16 seat wheel.

Interesting story about that spot, that was the balloon festival and every night we had to "park" the sky wheel at the half way point for an hour while the balloons went up, then it would open back up.

Long lines do not necessarily translate to high grosses. Ours always has a tip... But still.